Tuesday, April 26, 2011

HW 48

For my family's perspective on care of the dead I interviewed my Mom and my sister. The first question I asked was what  kind of viewing would they have at their funeral, open casket or closed? Both my mom and my sister said they would like a open casket funeral because its the final time that any one will see them, and if anyone would like to see them and the casket was closed it would be rude to that person. After that I asked How important is it that a person be prepped in make up to look good at a viewing? My mom said that in her opinion its better if the dead person is presented to look good because since at the viewing this is the last time anyone will lay eyes on them they should have a very good last impression to be remembered by. My sister on the other hand said it is better that they look natural because there should be nothing to cover up since the person is dead and that death is a natural thing people should look as they should.
The next question I asked was do they agree with the statement: We are removed from the process of care of the dead? What I mean by this is the process in which we hire people to take care off and then removed the now deceased. Both of them agreed after thinking for a bit. My sister said because some people don't like to be near the dead because of the feelings they bring and get or the fact that its a bit gross. The next question was asked based off of the fact that people get removed from the process of the care of the dead.  If given the chance to help prep the body at a funeral would you? My sister immediately said no seeing how its weird and kind of gross. Even when I asked if it was a family member, she thought about it and still said no. My mom on the other hand said that if it was the will of the person that she could help she would, but as long as she didn't have to do too much with the face. 
When I interviewed my family I was expecting their answers to be some what similar to the dominant social practices of the U.S, and was somewhat surprised by some answers. Firstly I know people like to have the bodies at viewings look nice and almost alive (like they are just sleeping) but when I heard my sister say that it shouldn't be a big deal and that people should look natural at viewings I was surprised. Most surprisingly was my mom agreeing to help prep a body if asked. I know a lot of people who wouldn't even think twice about this since its very weird in the U.S, so hearing that took me by surprise , I'm not even sure if I would!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Stephen,
    Your post was really interesting. Especially to me because I don't have a sister to share my view points with. It is cool to see the viewpoints of two woman in the same family one older and one younger. Its interesting how your mom chose make up and your sister chose natural because whenever I think of mothers, daughters, and make up in one category all I can think is that typical american seen where the mother tells her daughter not to wear make up. So I liked that that wasn't the case. On the question about would you help in a prepping a family funeral I agree with both your mom and your sister. I know exactly where your sister is coming from, like why would anybody want to help put a dead loved one in a casket or whatever the situation may be. But if its part of the dead persons last will I think your mom would be right to help out with the preparation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Alex I agree that its interesting to see two women from your family of different ages have different ideas on the caring of the dead. Having no make up seems to be a very romanticized idea but I think if I were to be in a casket I'd end up wanting make up. I also like the questions you asked about helping prep your deceased loved almost like being a mortician...I'm not sure if I'd do it either.
    Nice post

    ReplyDelete